A short guide to success from a two-time Next Media Services Giraffe award winner.
- Always perform at your highest level of capacity.
- Whether preparing for a sales pitch or executing work for a long-term client, always ensure that you are operating at 100%. It is important to constantly push yourself to perform at your best and never get comfortable.
- Continually follow up and follow through on your commitments.
- It is easy for tasks to fall through the cracks, especially in our fast-tracked world. Find a system that works for you and one that works for the people depending on you to deliver on your commitments. Your ability to follow up and follow through not only communicates that you are on top of your game but that you are also a reliable person.
- Consistently hold yourself and your team accountable.
It is a common mistake for people to think that accountability only lies in the hands of the supervisor, but accountability starts with you. Hold yourself and the team that you work with accountable. This will help you and your team learn how to value their work.
About the writer:
Rachel Thondu Mugisha has over six years of experience in human resources, business development and customer service gained in both Kenya and Uganda. She joined NBS television as Head Of Agencies in mid-September 2015. Prior to this, she worked at NFT Consult within the Executive Search division as a Research Associate. She is currently the Chief Commercial Officer at Next Media Services, Uganda.
She previously worked as a Senior HR Officer with Cayman Consults in Kampala. Prior to this, she worked with Access Kenya as a Client Relationship Manager, following several years at CfC Stanbic Bank (Standard Bank Group) as a Business Development Manager based in Nairobi.
Rachel holds a BA (Hons) in Social Sciences from Makerere University (Uganda) and an MBA from the University of Roehampton, London (UK); she speaks both Swahili and English fluently.